Monday, December 15, 2008

Down Dog


How does it happen that we have such intentions and then the Universe shows up in different ways?

Saturday night I left class feeling full of gratitude and inspiration. It was a strengthening class (from my perspective). Triangles and warriors. Poses I haven't done for YEARS (I'm really rusty!)

Darian was just home from Santa Fe and we were going out for a "girls night." Neck and shoulder rubs by the fire, I would show her some stretches I learned, music, good food, deep sharing as usual, and a movie if we got that far. Dave was working in LA, my daughters had the evening "spoken for"... I was FREE of responsibilities! YIPPPPEEEEEEEE!

I came home to Henry and June, my mini-dachshunds, and sweet, Jezebel, the shitzu I'm taking care of - I let them out to pee while fixing their dinners. Only Henry and Jezzie returned from the back yard when I yodeled. June was "taking her time" as usual, sniffing... tracking. Finally she slinked in, shaking vigorously, hunched over. An unreasonable forward bend. She was in pain. I immediately gave her the three medications I keep on hand if I think it's her back: A muscle relaxer, pain killer and anti-inflammatory.
After twenty minutes of frenetic shaking and panting I knew something was terribly wrong.

Darian, my ever gracious, easy going friend, drove us to the Pet Emergency Clinic in Ventura. Lindsay and her friend Emily had nothing else to do so they came along. We walked out at 11:30PM leaving Juney for the night. Her xrays revealed four vertebrae that are "mischievous" (Great word, Kira!) - on constant vigil, lacking the soft, gelatinous cushion between bones. She could be paralyzed. This is SERIOUS!

Our eight pound dog, the size of a satiated squirrel, has lassoed our hearts for the past five years. She is loveable, sweet, compassionate, protective, fierce, funny, and in serious trouble. She has chronic back problems, she shouldn't be moving - and she thinks she's a lion. ...What now?

June has to live a more "conscious" life if she is to live a long life. Leashes not lunges. No ecstatic dancing. No backbends or twists. No folds or arches. No downward facing dog!
Plank, Plank, Plank and lot's of reverse Shivasina.

She's a lot like me now - in the "afternoon" of life. Where kicking back, being comfortable, learning to receive, going slower, observing more, listening, surrendering, appreciating, ... is a fulfilling choice.

Quiet, Yin, Therapeutic, Gentle, Restorative, Chanting, Receiving, Opening, Expanding.

Kira is my teacher. June is my teacher.
I am grateful for my teachers.

No comments: