Friday, December 12, 2008

For the Love of Yin

I first found out about Yin Yoga when I hosted a small class in my home several years ago taught by Nance Samuels. We marveled at her physical flexibility and she took us to deeper places within ourselves. I craved folding over and allowing the breath and gravity of my own body to stretch and lengthen. I could visualize the netting that holds me together releasing long held emotions, I could actually hear the opening and relaxing of deep tendons and ligaments. It felt gentle, non-competitive, soft and inward. A contrast to my more Yang way of being in the world with children and responsibilities, always "putting out" somehow, running around throughout the day. It was a way to be with myself without distractions and appreciate. So delicious.
There's no such thing as a quick set of YIN for me. It takes time. And it's worth it.

Yin Yoga is known as the quiet yoga, concentrating on connective tissue and bones, the parts of our body that are closest to our core and critical to our physical well-being and range of motion. The postures are practiced on the floor and each is held for a lengthy period, usually five to eight minutes. The intense non-movement allows the muscles to relax and the deep connective tissue to be gently stretched, encouraging the free flow of energy throughout the body. Yin Yoga is a gentle practice that brings yoga back to its internal meditative roots, teaching us to relax and accept ourselves just as we are.

Yin is about surrender to the moment and offers me incredible peace.